|Monday 14th November 2022|
Melbourne Cup: Could Stars Of The Past Be Learned From In The Future?
The Melbourne Cup is the most prestigious thoroughbred horse race in Australia. It's held annually at the Flemington Racecourse in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, and it usually takes place on the first Tuesday of November.
This year's winner was Gold Trip, who was ridden by Mark Zahra and trained by Ciaron Maher and David Eustace. If you understand the data and the stats of previous races, could the winners of previous Melbourne Cup be learned from in the future?
What is the Melbourne Cup?
The Melbourne Cup is a famous horse race that takes place once per year in Australia, and it's widely regarded as being Australia's number one horse race for thoroughbred horses. This year's flat racing event took place on November 1st at Melbourne's iconic Flemington Racecourse, which has been hosting the event since 1861. Flemington Racecourse is a left-handed track with a turf surface, and it's a handicap race that covers a distance of 3,200 m (1 mi 1,740 yds). The purse (prize money) for the 2022 Melbourne Cup was AU$8,000,000.00 with AU$650,000.00 going to the winner.
Fun facts about the Melbourne Cup
- The very first Melbourne Cup was in 1861. In this race, which had 17 runners, two of which had to be put down, the winner was a horse called Archer
- Archer was the very first horse to win the race two years in a row (1861 and 1862)
- The race was once postponed for a week in 1870
- The youngest-ever winner was a 13-year-old jockey (technically 12 years old) called Peter St. Albans
- One jockey died due to injuries sustained in the 1881 running
- Newhaven won the first-ever filmed race in 1896
- The 1915 winner, Patrobas, was the first horse owned by a woman
- The first million-dollar cup was in 1985
- 1987 saw the first-ever female jockey take part
- 2015 saw the first female jockey, Michelle Payne, win the Melbourne Cup on the 100-1-priced Prince of Penzance horse
Betting markets for casual and regular bettors
If you visit the best sports betting casinos today, you can always find lots of betting markets for the Melbourne Cup with competitive odds, along with betting markets for most other major horse racing events from around the world. These sites are free to sign up to, and you normally have to be at least 18 years old to place a real money wager. They also tend to have welcome bonuses for new members, and you can place a bet at these trusted sites from a smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer.
How can previous winners help us pick future winners
Before placing a wager on a horse running at the Melbourne Cup, you may want to look into the history of the event and study information about previous winners. Some of the things that can help you place more strategic bets that are more likely to turn a profit are things like previous results, the weight of the horse, the jockey, and the owner. Understanding the odds is also extremely important when placing a bet. However, don't forget that no bet is guaranteed, no matter how good the odds may seem.
What other horse racing games can you find at online casinos?
If you're looking for something else horse-related to place a wager on other than just horse racing, then you may want to check out some of these popular horse racing-themed online slots (which are often referred to as 'pokies' in Australia). These games are usually available in the real money mode and free-play demo mode, and they were developed by some of the world's leading online casino software providers. The top 10 horse racing-themed slots/pokies to keep an eye out for in 2022 include the following great games:
- Ascot: Sporting Legends online slot from Playtech
- Cheltenham: Sporting Legends online slot from Playtech
- AP McCoy: Sporting Legends online slot from Playtech
- Frankie Dettori: Sporting Legends online slot from Playtech
- Frankie Dettori's Magic Seven Jackpot online slot from Playtech
- Scudamore's Super Stakes online slot from NetEnt
- Bookie of Odds online slot from Triple Edge Studios and Microgaming
- Sure Win online slot from Microgaming
- Derby Wheel online slot from Play'n GO
- Racing Lovers online slot from Yggdrasil Gaming
All of these feature-packed slots have wide betting ranges, which means that in most of them, you can play from as little as $/€/£0.10 or $/€/£0.20 per spin up to around $/€/£100.00 or more per spin. They all have some huge jackpots to play for, and there are plenty of fun in-play bonus features and bonus rounds for you to look forward to triggering. All of these famous horse-racing-themed slots take less than a few seconds to launch in most web browsers, which means that there's no need to download any casino programs, unless you want to play from within a casino app that you can install onto your smartphone or tablet device.